The Cotton Library

The Cotton Library was built in 1851 out of a turret containing the stairway to the organ loft. Joseph Paxton was reputed to be involved with this project. The library is predominantly the collection of Henry Cotton, one time Dean of the Cathedral, and formerly sub-librarian of the Bodleian library. The collection of ecclesiastical, historical and theological books also contains books of the Boyle Family, 13th Century Painted Stones, lock and keys of Great West Door, Cathedral Seals, a Bible from the 16th century, antique prints of Saint Carthage’s & Saint Canice’s Cathedrals, a Koran from 1734, manuscripts and collections of letters as well as many antiquities and eccentricities.

MORE OF OUR HERITAGE

DONATIONS

Help us Preserve the Past

Read More

© ST. CARTHAGES CATHEDRAL 2017 | Built at Red Heaven Design